Relationship Advice #2: Questions from the Community
What do you do if you like someone, but your friends don’t?
As much as we’d like to tell you to go convince your friends that he/she is a good person, you can’t always change the way your friends think (especially when it comes to your best friends, who just want the best for you). So instead, here a few ways to try to resolve the tension:
• Try to take them all out to hang out
• Ask why they don’t like your crush and try to take their opinion into consideration
• If they’re true friends, they’ll realize your feelings comes first and at least try to be happy for you
Can you be in love in high school?
It’s up to you! Like we said before, we are not certified psychiatrists. Therefore, if you are in a HEALTHY relationship, then go for it! But before you completely fall for someone, make sure you and your significant other establish boundaries so that your relationship is ensured for success. Here are a few other things we’d like you to keep in mind when entering any sort of relationship:
• Respect! Respect is key.
• Always be on the prowl for any red flags!!!
When do I know to make the first know?
It’s all about the small signs. Are you confident that the other person feels the same way/similarly? Have you been talking for a long time? Does he/she laugh at your jokes? Well, if you answered “yes” to all three, then SHOOT YOUR SHOT. If you’re reading this right now wondering if your crush likes you, then you are missing out! Go text him/her or ~call~ him/her. Let him/her know how you feel. Basketball coach Charles Brown once said, “Shoot your shot… If you miss and they don’t get the rebound, switch teams.” Remember to just start off with a simple “Hey!” Then work your way up into a casual conversation. If all fails, though, here are a few break-up songs to make you feel empowered:
• “I Will Survive” - Gloria Gaynor
• “Survivor” - Destiny’s Child
• “Wrecking Ball” - Miley Cyrus
• “No Scrubs” - TLC
• “Girl on Fire” - Alicia Keys
• “I’m out” - Ciara
• “Wings” - Little Mix
• “Get Back” – Ludacris
• “Run the World” - Beyonce